My new revolver - 7mm pinfire

Un doute sur l'origine d'une pièce ? C'est ici !
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dave
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My new revolver - 7mm pinfire

Messagepar Dave » lun. 30 avr. 2018 13:36

Hi EL, found this in an antique store in Midwestern USA. Even gun collectors here know almost nothing about this model of revolver. I was told that it was a 7mm pinfire caliber, that was all the owner was sure of. He thinks it is a Lefaucheux but I'm not completely sure.

Here are some pics. Other than 'ACIER PONDU'(?) on the left side barrel, there are some numbers and letters underneath the grip. Please let me know what you can. Thanks!
Fichiers joints
LefRev-3.jpg
LefRev-3.jpg (238.39 Kio) Vu 149 fois
LefRev-2.jpg
LefRev-2.jpg (213.84 Kio) Vu 149 fois
LEFRev-total.jpg
LEFRev-total.jpg (115.26 Kio) Vu 149 fois
Modifié en dernier par Dave le lun. 30 avr. 2018 13:41, modifié 1 fois.

Dave

Re: My new revolver

Messagepar Dave » lun. 30 avr. 2018 13:37

Pt II
Fichiers joints
LefRev-6.JPG
LefRev-6.JPG (149.63 Kio) Vu 148 fois
LefRev-5.JPG
LefRev-5.JPG (181.87 Kio) Vu 148 fois
LefREv-4.JPG
LefREv-4.JPG (67.02 Kio) Vu 148 fois

Dave

Re: My new revolver

Messagepar Dave » lun. 30 avr. 2018 13:39

Sorry for the blurry pics and the humongous size. My phone camera was straining to get those.

Note that the blurry initials looked like a 'DE' or 'GE'.

Lefaucheux

Re: My new revolver - 7mm pinfire

Messagepar Lefaucheux » lun. 30 avr. 2018 14:23

You must read « acier fondu » = « molten steel »

For me this is a 7 mm pinfire revolver made in Belgium in the city of Liège
Probably you’ll find on the cilinder in an oval the letters « ELG » and also a letter with a crown or a star above.
This revolver is very commun and made by thousands a month in Liege
It’s not a Lefaucheux, but à Belgium made 7 mm pinfire revolver
The letters under the grips are probably form the persons who worked on this gun , it’s impossible to know which persons ....

If you find a ELG without a crown it’s before 1893 , with a crown it’s after
Thé letter with a crown (inspector stamp) means before 1877, with a star it’s after 1877

Eugène L :ugeek:

Dave

Messagepar Dave » mar. 1 mai 2018 05:20

Thanks for the info and getting me interested in these oldies. :)

Another friend of mine took a look and though it was a Gasser-type revolver, but it apparently isn't, as Gasser didn't do pinfire ammo.

Was there a brand name associated with the pistol, or was it simply "Belgian 7mm pinfire"? In other words, was there a prominent designer associated with it, or was it a Government-commissioned revolver made in a state arsenal?

Apparently these are very common were I live. The state of KS allegedly used Lefaucheux style revolvers for their cavalry units in the Civil War, but those were in much larger calibers. Those who sell them where I live claim they were imported from Belgium/France as sidearms (often as backup weapons) by both armies in the American Civil War. They are often referred to as 'Civil War' revolvers. Here is a better example:
Fichiers joints
LEFAUCHEUX-box.jpg
LEFAUCHEUX-box.jpg (99.45 Kio) Vu 120 fois
Modifié en dernier par Dave le mar. 1 mai 2018 05:26, modifié 1 fois.

Dave

Messagepar Dave » mar. 1 mai 2018 05:25

I'm looking to test fire it with the gunsmith I use. Do you know of any reputable sources of 7mm pinfire in Europe that you could point me to?

I also reload cartridges for the uncommon types I shoot (7.35mm Carcano, 10.35mm Italian Bodeo). I would be willing to buy the special casings and lead if available.

Thanks again,
Dave

Lefaucheux

Messagepar Lefaucheux » mar. 1 mai 2018 12:44

Have seen that one on Gunbroker I think
That one also made in Belgium by one of the two thousand gunsmith you had there at that time
Thé only way to identify the maker is to find his name, 99% of these revolvers have no name , so 7 mm Belgium made pinfire revolver

The drawing in the box has nothing to do with the revolver
This drawing is for the Lefaucheux patent of April 1854 addition November 1854, see the link below

http://s144812367.onlinehome.fr/122-2

Thé gun in the box is an ordinary 7 mm Belgium made pinfire revolver

Nearly 12000 lefaucheux revolver model 1854 has been bought in the rangs of LF21xxx and LF42xxx but it’s impossible to say which one has done the war or not ....
They look like this on , see the link below

http://s144812367.onlinehome.fr/lf-29330-12-mm

Go in the toolbar and clic on H&C Collection to find all you need to make cartridges otherwise clic on the link here below

http://www.hc-collection.com/

Eugèneène L :ugeek: